Abraham Samuel Finny
Thesis: Development of an Additive Manufacturing Platform and Formulation of 3D Printable Hydrogel-based Inks for Sensing and Environmental Applications
Research: Developing robust and sensitive 3D printed hydrogel sensors to quantify UV exposure, biological relevant analytes (lactate and glucose), or addressing environmental pollution problems by removing heavy metals ions using 3D printed hydrogel-basewd adsorbent tablets.
- Development of In-house nanomaterial-based bioinks for use in 3D printed multifunctional hydrogel-based sensors.
- Utilize computer-aided manufacturing and computer-aided design programs to rapidly prototype biosensors for sensing platforms.
- Development of a 3D printed hydrogel tablets based on polyethylenimine (PEI) used for heavy metal ion removal (e.g. Cu2+).
- 3D printed UV sensors incorporating TiO2 nanoparticles and organic dyes such as methyl orange, malachite green, and methylene blue.
- Development of a 3D printed colorimetric ozone sensor based on indigo carmine dye.
- Design 3D ceria based printed lactate and glucose biosensors incorporating lactate oxidase and glucose oxidase respectively.
Summer Internship - Boehringer Ingelheim (Materials and Analytical Science Department), May - August, 2021
The Outstanding Graduate Student Award in the Department of Chemistry & Biomolecular Science, Clarkson, April, 2021
3rd place -prototype design ($750 award for "EnerGen" team) - the 2020 President’s Challenge, Clarkson, the Category - Research.
Best in category - prototype design ($5,000 award for "ChemoSense" team) - North Country Community, 2019 President's Challenge, CU
3rd place -prototype design ($500 award) - North Country Regional Business Plan Competition, 2019
Best poster - Sustainability Prize - Summer Research and Project Showcase (RAPS) at Clarkson, August, 2019
Best poster - Additive Manufacturing, 32nd CAMP annual technical meeting, Syracuse, NY, May, 2019
Best poster, 3rd Spring research and project showcase (RAPS), Clarkson University - April 13, 2019
Travel award to attend the 8th Electrochemical Society ECS student chapter symposium, UQAM - Montreal, Canada - June 15, 2018
Biomedical Engineering Celebration Award for India Scholarship (£6000 award), University of Strathclyde, 2013
 3D printable polyethyleneimine based hydrogel adsorbents for heavy metal ions removal
A.S. Finny, N. Cheng, O. Popoola, and S. Andreescu
Environ. Sci.: Adv. 1(4), 2022, 443-455
 Advances in biosensing technology in the pharmaceutical industry
A.S. Finny, N. Cheng, and S. Andreescu
in Biosensing and Micro-Nano Devices, (Design Aspects and Implementation in Food Industries), Ed. P. Chandra, Springer 2022, 243-263
 3D-Printable Nanocellulose-Based Functional Materials: Fundamentals and Applications
A.S. Finny, O. Popoola, and S. Andreescu
Nanomaterials, 11(9), 2021, 2358
 3D Printed Hydrogel-based Sensors for Quantifying UV Exposure
A.S. Finny, C. Jiang, and S. Andreescu
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 12(39), 2020, 43911-43920
 Chapter 7 - Cerium oxide nanoparticles for chemical and biological sensors: Properties, sensing designs, and applications
A.S. Finny, A. Othman, and S. Andreescu
in Cerium Oxide (CeO₂): Synthesis, Properties and Applications, Metal Oxides Series, (Eds. S. Scirè and L. Palmisano), Elsevier, 2020, 259-277
 Easy to use and inexpensive sensors for assessing the quality and traceability of cosmetic antioxdiants
A. Othman, L. Norton, A.S. Finny, and S. Andreescu
Talanta, 208, 2020, 120473
 Chapter 3 - Printed paper-based (bio)sensors: Design, fabrication and applications.
F. Mustafa, A.S. Finny, K.A. Kirk, and S. Andreescu
in Comprehensive Analytical Chemistry, vol. 89 - Paper based sensors (Edited by Arben Merkoçi), Elsevier, 2020, 63-89
Prior to the PhD program at Clarkson
 Physicochemical and heavy metal analysis of sugar mill effluent
A.S. Finny, V. Mohan, and R.L. Jeyanthi
J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 6(4), 2014, 585-587
 Production and analysis of protease enzyme from Aspergillus niger using Fish Scales as Substrate
R.L. Jeyanthi, S.S. Sharmila, M.P. Das, and A.S. Finny
J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 4(10), 2012, 4597-4600
 Variation of water quality across Cooum river in Chennai city
Journal of Environment and Earth Science, 2(2), 2012, 51
- "3D Printed Hydrogel-Based Sensors for UV Sensing Applications"
The 239th ECS Meeting with the 18th International Meeting in Chemical Sensors (IMCS), (virtual), May 30 - June 3, 2021
- "Design and Characterization of 3D-printable Hydrogels for Sensing and Environmental Remediation"
Chemistry & Biomolecular Science Department Seminar Series, Clarkson University, April 30, 2021
- Invited guest speaker - “Protein Purification and Characterization” Webinar Series
Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Bharath University, 2020
- "Development of 3D printed hydrogel-based biosensors for wearable applications"
Chemistry & Biomolecular Science Department Seminar Series, Clarkson University, April 19, 2019
- “A versatile 3D printing platform for manufacturing hydrogel-based biosensors for different applications”
"Chemistry Meets Biology” the 10th annual undergraduate and graduate chemistry and biology research symposium, SUNY Plattsburgh, March, 2019
Meetings with poster presentations:
- ACS Fall National Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 21-25, 2022
- The Spring Research and Project Showcase (RAPS) at Clarkson, April, 2021
- Summer Research and Project Showcase (eRAPS), Clarkson University, July 30, 2020
- The Summer Research and Project Showcase (RAPS), CU, August, 2019
- ACS Northeast Regional Meeting (NERM) Meeting, Saratoga Springs, NY, June 2019
- The 3rd Spring Research and Project Showcase (RAPS) at Clarkson, April, 2019
- The 32nd CAMP annual technical meeting, Syracuse, NY, May, 2019
- The Northeast Nanomaterials Meeting (NENM) of the ACS Northern New York Section, Lake Placid, NY, June 1-3, 2018
Running AAS measurements
June 1, 2018 - Abraham presenting his work at The Northeast Nanomaterials Meeting (NENM) of the ACS Northern New York Section, Lake Placid, NY
North Country Community, 2019 President's Challenge, Clarkson University
May 2021 - The outstanding graduate student Award
Left picture -April 19, 2019 - Chemistry & Biomolecular Science Department Seminar
Abraham Ph.D defense (via zoom)
Committee: Profs: Devon Shipp, Philip Yuya, Xiaocun Lu, Shantanu Sur, and Silvana Andreescu
Congratulation Dr. Finny !