Thesis: Electrochemical Analysis of Neurotransmitters in Zebrafish
Embryos: In Vivo Sensing and Nanotoxicity Screening
Research: Develop modified microsensors and advance experimental procedures to evaluate the toxicological effect against living organisms associated to nanoparticles exposure and measuring relevant neurotransmitters.
- Design implantable electrochemical carbon fiber microsensors for detection of nitric oxide and dopamine with improved spatial and
temporal resolution in single organs of live zebrafish (Dario rerio) embryos
- Toxicological evaluation of zebrafish embryos exposure to nanoparticles and chemical additives used in industrial chemical mechanical
planarization (CMP) processes and in consumer products
Awards and honors:
The Outstanding Graduate Student Award in the Department of Chemistry & Biomolecular Science, Clarkson, Recognition Day, April 13, 2019
Travel Grant - The Electrochemical Society - Sensor Division, to attend the 233rd ECS Meeting, Seattle, WA, May 13-17, 2018
Best Romanian Student in North America awarded by Liga Studenților Români din Străinătate (LSRS), January 4, 2018, Bucharest, Romania.
Petr Zuman Award in Chemistry, Clarkson University, August 28, 2017
2nd Place, at the 6th Annual R&D Student Competition, by the NYS Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) , University at Buffalo, April 17, 2017
Most Attractive Poster presentation (2nd place), at the CAMP Annual Technical Meeting, Canandaigua, NY, May 19, 2016
Most Creative Poster presentation (2nd place), at the CAMP Annual Technical Meeting, Canandaigua, NY, May 21, 2015
 Time-Dependent Monitoring of Dopamine in the Brain of Live Embryonic Zebrafish Using Electrochemically Pretreated Carbon Fiber
E. Dumitrescu, A. Deshpande, K. Wallace, and S. Andreescu
ACS Meas. Sci. Au 2(3), 2022, 261-270
 Differential lethal and sublethal effects in embryionic zebrafish exposed to different sizes of silver nanoparticles
X. Liu, E. Dumitrescu, A. Kumar, D. Austin, D.V. Goia, K.N. Wallace, and S. Andreescu
Environ Pollut., 248, 2019, 627-634
 Chapter - Nanotoxicity Assessment Using Embryonic Zebrafish
E. Dumitrescu, K.N. Wallace, and S. Andreescu
in Nanotoxicity. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1894, (Ed. Q. Zang), Humana Press, 2019, 331-343
 Nanoporous sorbents for the removal and recovery of Phosphorous from Eutrophic waters : sustainability challenges and solutions
A. Othman, E. Dumitrescu, D. Andreescu, and S. Andreescu
ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng., 6(10), 2018, 12542-12561
 Real Time Electrochemical Investigation of the Release, Distribution and Modulation of Nitric Oxide in the Intestine of Individual
E. Dumitrescu, K.N. Wallace, and S. Andreescu
Nitric Oxide, 74, 2018, 32-38
 Interaction, transformation and toxicity assessment of particles and additives used in the semiconducting industry
E. Dumitrescu, D.P. Karunaratne, S.V. Babu, K.N. Wallace, and S. Andreescu
Chemosphere, 192, 2018, 178-185
 Developmental toxicity of glycine-coated silica nanoparticles in embryonic zebrafish
E. Dumitrescu, D.P. Karunaratne, M.K. Prochaska, X. Liu, K.N. Wallace, and S. Andreescu
Environ. Pollut., 229, 2017, 439-447
 Chapter 11 - Bioapplications of Electrochemical Sensors and Biosensors
E. Dumitrescu, and S. Andreescu
in: Methods in Enzymology, vol. 589, - Enzymes as Sensors, (Eds. R.B. Thompson, C.A. Fierke), Elsevier, 2017, 301-350
 Chapter 13 - Electrochemical Biosensors for Real-Time Monitoring of Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species
X. Liu, E. Dumitrescu, and S. Andreescu
in: ACS Symposium Series, vol. 1200, - Oxidative Stress: Diagnostics, Prevention, and Therapy -vol. 2, (Eds. M. Hepel, S. Andreescu),
American Chemical Society, 2015, 301-327
- "Electrochemical Monitoring of Neurotransmitter Concentration Dynamics in Live Zebrafish Embryos"
The 3rd Annual Research and Project Showcase (RAPS), Clarkson University, April 13, 2019
- "Electrochemical Assessment of Nitric Oxide Spatial Distribution at Single Organ Level in Live Zebrafish Embryos"
The 233rd ECS Meeting, Seattle, WA, May 13-17, 2018
- "In vivo detection of oxidative/nitrosatrive stress markers in zebrafish embryos"
PITTCON, Orlando, FL, February 3-7, 2018
- "Direct Electrochemical Assessment of Nitric Oxide in Live Organisms: Method Development and Applications"
Chemistry & Biomolecular Science Department Seminar Series, Clarkson University, January 26, 2018
- "Electrochemical Quantification of Neurotransmitters in Live Embryonic Zebrafish"
The 68th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Electrochemistry (ISE), Providence, RI, August 31, 2017
- "Recyclable Nanosorbent for Treatment and Management of Eutrophication in Environmental Waters"
The NYS Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) 6th Annual R&D Student Competition , SUNY Buffalo, April 17, 2017
- "Chemical Processes and Environmental Toxicity of CMP Particles and Additives"
Chemistry & Biomolecular Science Department Seminar Series, Clarkson University, February 17, 2017
- "Toxicity Evaluation of Metal Oxide Particles and Chemical Additives Used in the CMP Industry"
ACS NERM, Binghamton, NY, October 6-8, 2016
Meetings with poster presentations:
- CAMP Annual Technical Meeting, Syracuse, NY, May 21, 2019
- The ACS Northeast Nanomaterials Meeting (NENM), Lake Placid, NY, June 2, 2018
- PITTCON, Orlando, FL, February 27, 2018
- The 3rd Arts & Science Graduate Student Symposium, Clarkson University, November 17, 2016
- International CMP Symposium, Lake Placid, NY, August 7-10, 2016
- CAMP Annual Technical Meeting, Canandaigua, NY, May 19, 2016
- The 7th Annual Research Symposium of ACS Northern New York Local Section, Clarkson University, March 26, 2016
- PITTCON, Atlanta, GA, March 6, 2016
- The 54th Eastern Analytical Symposium (EAS), Somerset, NJ, November 16-18, 2015
- Graduate Research Symposium of Clarkson University, September 29, 2015
- The New England Graduate Student Water Symposium, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA, September 11-13, 2015
- CAMP Annual Technical Meeting, Canandaigua, NY, May 21, 2015
Poster session: ACS Northeast Nanomaterials
Meeting, Lake Placid, NY, June 2, 2018
The Outstanding Graduate Student Award in the Department of Chem. & Biomolec. Science, CU
The Outstanding Graduate Student Award
Recognition Day, April 13, 2019
R&D Student Competition project (2nd Place), NYS Pollution Prevention Institute, University at Buffalo, 2017
RAPS presentation: April 13, 2019
Thesis defense: April 19, 2019
Committee: Profs: Devon Shipp, Xiaocun Lu, Silvana Andreescu, Ryan Brown and Kenneth Wallace
Congratulation Dr. Dumitrescu !